Monday, October 25, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Drawers

This past week we (and by "we" I mean me and my dad!) 
have been working on a project in my daughter's room.  
It involved (my father) cutting through a very large portion of wall.  
Our house was built in the early 1940's so this was not a 
simple sheet-rock tear down.  
This was plaster.  Thick, strong, super dusty plaster.  
I didn't expect it to turn into a photo-op so I don't have any pictures to show you, 
let's just say that when he opened the door to her tiny room 
we had to wait a bit for the air to clear before we could see him.  
And he was standing three feet inside the door.

After opening all the windows and turning on a fan it
didn't take long for the dust to clear.
But it did leave a lovely coating on everything,
and I mean EVERYTHING in her room.
Since I was all "gett'r done" about it
I did not think to cover things or put things away.  
Yuck.  
Luckily the end result was lovely if I do say so myself!

Here is a before shot of the wall just inside and to the left of her door.



On the other side of that wall is attic space.  
At that point a very short and thin slice of attic, but usable space none the less!  
We used these instructions as a guide.  
We purchased a dresser off craigslist that was the right size and shape
and went to work (and, no, I don't have a picture of that either!)

Once installed and trimmed out I painted, and painted, and painted some more!  
And caulked a bit too!
Ta-daa!




The "dresser" is white to match her trim and the drawer pulls
are the original painted aqua, the accent color
we are using with purple in her "big girl" room.



And "PRIZE!" as my two-year-old would say.  
(That's "surprise" for those of you who don't speak Harry)
I lined the drawers with this awesome polka dot fabric from JoAnn's.



She loves the space that it freed up, and she adores the pop of aqua. 
 BUT - I was mistaken when I thought this would turn into a whole room makeover.  
I was looking forward to packing up toys and cleaning up 
knick-knacks and making her room more big-girl chic.  

No luck.  

I guess I was pushing it expecting a 10-year-old to get rid of her "stuff"!  
(as you can see from the pics, it didn't take long for her to add her own
embellishments - a MN Twins poster!)

Oh, well.  It looks just like I was hoping it would - like it's always been there.  
Stay tuned for her lamp re-do, side tables, and wall art 
(so she's not ready for big-girl chic,
do you really think I was going to stop with a dresser?!)

OH!  And thanks Dad :)

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. that looks so cute! love the painted hardware- they make it all just so happy! stopping by from project diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the painted hardware too! Thought I'd give you your first 'follow,' I'm just starting out too! Good luck and have fun! http://welcomedtempest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you can put drawers into a wall like that! What a space saver! LOVE the aqua pulls, they are perfect as is the lining. Great job, and thanks for linking this up :-)

    ReplyDelete